marriage advice.

I've only been married a little over 2 years, so I don't pretend to have all of the answers!  However, I'll take advice on having a long lasting healthy marriage any day and I thought you all might want to hear some tidbits people have passed on to me!




I was working in a Senior Center the other day and there is one couple that goes there.  They are literally the sweetest couple.  I was talking to the wife, Nancy about my pregnancy and I asked her how long they have been married.  63 years.  I love seeing couples who have been together for so long.  I asked her what their secret is and she said "Patience and knowing when to keep your mouth shut."  She was so cute.  She told me about how when they were first married they had to move to Michigan for her husband's job and she cried every day because she was so homesick.  It made me think about how everything is so temporary.  She is looking back on that time now and it seems so long ago.  I need to not sweat the small stuff and trust God's plan for my life.

I keep a note in my iPhone called "Marriage Advice" and write down anything I think I should remember.  At our wedding we had pens and paper on each table at the reception and asked people to share their best marriage advice.  I thought you all might want to hear some of my favorites!

Pray for your husband.  The power of prayer is strong.  Also, its hard to fight with someone who you are praying the Lord grows and prospers.

It is better to be happy than to be right.

Don't "air your dirty laundry."  Don't put down your husband to others or talk to others about problems that should stay between the two of you.  That said, I think you should make your friends people who share the same values and character that you do.  If I do feel the need to talk about something going on with my husband, I only do it with friends who know and love him and won't change their opinion of him based on something I'm venting about.

The Bible says to "respect your husband."  Men need to know you respect them.

Don't put a tv in your bedroom.

Re-read your wedding vows.

Don't contradict each other in public, or in front of your children.  Be on the same page and if you disagree and need to discuss it later, do so in private.

Women set the tone for the home.  Make your home a happy, positive place where your husband and children want to be.

It makes children feel insecure to see their parents fighting.

Men are visual, so make an effort to look nice.

Have fun together and laugh.  I am not a "silly" person, but Joey is the goofiest person I've ever met, so I am when I'm just with him.  He makes me laugh everyday!




What do you all think?  Agreee, disagree with any of these?  What advice do you have?? I would love to hear!!  If anyone has anything to share I'll do another post on this and include your advice.
Share

11 comments:

  1. I love the advice you've collected over the years! I will definitely be taking note. Here's my piece of advice:

    Marriage/relationships are not always 50/50. Some days you will have to give 90% and your spouse will give 10%. Other days you may give 25% and your husband will have to put in the 75%.

    I find this so true and that's why I think it's so important to be selfless : )

    Julie
    http://truelifetwenties.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a great one Julie! Its important to remember thats ok sometimes! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice! I love the 'it is better to be happy than to be right'...so much truth in that. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute!

    The one piece of advice I always remember (from my great-aunt) was "Never go to bed angry with eachother."

    PS- Your wedding gown is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that lady had smart and sweet advice. i have always told people to "talk less and listen more." i think the world and most marriages would be so much happier if we learned to listen better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post! i've only been married a little over 2 years myself and it's been such a blessing!

    really love the blog doll! can't wait to read more!

    happy to be your newest follower ♥♥♥... follow back sometime ?

    hugs, xoxo
    *BARBIE-BOMBSHELL.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  7. just came across your blog & I love this post. My husband and I have been married for a little over a year and a half and I love hearing all the marriage advice I can. My favorite that you posted was "Pray for your husband. The power of prayer is strong. Also, its hard to fight with someone who you are praying the Lord grows and prospers." -- so true. & the dirty laundry part.. i hate when my friends vent to me about their husbands.. okay i'm following now! come follow me back and we can be friends :)
    -cindy
    jociguillory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are just the cutest couple ever! And I LOVVEEED this post :)

    ReplyDelete