our word for 2014

This is the 3rd year Joey and I have decided to choose a word for our year.

2012 we chose "grow" and focused on growth as a family, as a couple and individually.  With Shepherd coming into our lives, we became a family of 3, and had to figure out how to parent together.  There was a lot of growth and 2012 was pretty close to perfect in my book.

2013 was one of my favorite words, "Purposeful."  
I do think after a year of having that in the back of my mind, I am a more purposeful person.  I've focused on who I want to be, and what do I need to do to be that.  What do I want my children to remember me for, to appreciate me for, to come to me for.  I want to be intentional with Shepherd.  I don't like ending days feeling like I just got through it.  Every night before Shepherd goes to sleep, we talk about what he did that day.  Its rarely anything too exciting by anyone's standards, but these days I'm filling up are nurturing to his mind and soul and I cherish them.
"What did we do today?! We got up and said, "hi Blue!" and we waved at Daddy when he left for work!  What did we eat for breakfast?  Did we have blueberries?!  Did we go on a walk?  Did we see birds and kitty cats?  Did we read your favorite book?!  Did we wait at the door for Daddy to get home and he rang the doorbell and we said, "yay Daddy is home!!"  Did we take a bath and count our rubber ducks?  Did Daddy fly you around like an airplane?" 
I know the days are long but the years are short.  This year I focused on living these long days with purpose.  I anticipate looking back with longing of this time when my babies were little, but time will pass no matter what.  The best I can do is fill each day with joy, so I don't have any regrets.

I'm rambling, but I really just feel so lucky to have the life I have.  I don't want to ever take it for granted.  I don't like to complain about things that I've prayed to have.  I prayed and rejoiced for Joey's job, so I'm never going to complain about his hours.  My biggest joy in life is getting to be a stay at home mom, so I'm not going to complain about it, even though some days its hard.  Some days its really hard.  Honestly one day last week I cried on and off for hours because I was so mentally and physically exhausted and just wanted to be alone.  But those days are few and far between, and I wouldn't trade my life for anything else.

So, our word for 2014.
We chose Focus.
We narrowed it down to a few things to focus on...you get too broad and it loses the point.

God, our marriage, Shepherd and Major, health.  In that order.

God first.  Thats the foundation of everything.

Our marriage second.  Yes that comes before our children.  If our marriage fell apart, the lasting effects on our children would be immeasurable.  So we focus on that, with our babies right behind of course.  I want to be better this year at carving out time to spend with each other.  I want to make date nights a priority, even though its so hard for me to leave my babies.

Shepherd and Major.  We will have to adjust this year to being a family of 4, having a newborn again, Shepherd not being an only child...lots to be intentional about.

Finally, health.  I want to lose all of my baby weight, and Joey has been paying for a gym membership for about 2 years that he's been to maybe a handful of times.  So since we can't get out of that contract (don't ask...grrr) he is going to be taking advantage of it!
Share

1 comment: