parenting prayer


I've been thinking a lot about our children's emerging personalities.  
Shepherd has been going through a new phase, that is taking me by surprise.  Right now whenever we are around other people or in a new environment, he has been cautious and quiet and likes to know what he is getting himself into.  He is aware of other people's feelings and the things he picks up on I can't believe.  I took him to the library last week and he sat so still right next to me the entire story time, taking his time warming up to a new situation.  One night at dinner we were talking and I decided to ask him the high and low of his day, not knowing if he would really grasp the concept.  For his high he said something about eating fruit, which was a little random since all he had that day were some peaches, and I thought he wasn't really paying attention to me.  But then when I asked him his low, he got kind of sad and said "Grayson's truck."  I thought, "ok he's just making stuff up" because I had no idea what he was talking about.  I asked him to remind me because I didn't remember anything about Grayson's truck, and Shepherd said, "I broke it."  Then it hit me...earlier that morning, he thought he had broken Grayson's truck and brought it to me.  It was made out of Legos so it was supposed to come apart.  I didn't make a big deal of it at all, Grayson's wasn't upset, I just told him that it was supposed to do that and put it back together.  The fact that almost 12 hours later he was still thinking about that (not) broken truck that he thought was his fault, KILLED me.

Right now Major is becoming more of his own person every day.  He is fearless and curious and taunting.  He'll find something he shouldn't have and come to show me, then run away from me laughing.  He hates for me to be away from him.  If I walk outside to throw away the trash, he stands at the door and cries.  If I run to the grocery and I'm gone 20 minutes, I get the best welcome home anyone could ask for.  Sometimes, even though I'm their mom, it still surprises me how much they want me.  Like, me? I'm not that special.

I'm still figuring out who my children are.  But God already knows who they are going to be.
I don't have any idea.  
My prayer lately has been this. 
I want to parent each of them, love them, discipline them, etc., in the way they best understand and respond to.  And it will be different for both of them.
I personally don't have the most gentle spirit, so I've been praying for God to help me develop that fruit of the Spirit.



"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control; against such things there is no law."
Galations 5:22
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment