Things I've noticed about Utah, so far.

(^ Isn't this drive pretty?^)

I guess I should have expected moving to the other side of the country would come with some culture shock.  There is a lot I can't even put my finger on, its just very different.

The biggest thing is the presence of the Mormon church. They call themselves "LDS" for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Its funny, because I don't think anywhere else its really normal/acceptable to just casually ask someone's religion.  But here people just assume you're LDS so they go ahead and ask.  In Kentucky there are churches everywhere, but a variety. Baptist, Episcopal, Catholic, Christian, Methodist, Presbyterian. Here, there are pretty much only LDS churches.  Like, there will be two right across the street from each other.  I knew they were going to be everywhere, but they are everywhere. I have seen one Baptist church that looked like it met in a gas station, not one Catholic Church or any of the other ones. We searched the Internet and found the Christian churches we've visited so far. But we had to look for them, not like I'm just driving around and come across them. I will say I've pretty much stuck to our area, which is very new, so maybe the older areas aren't like that. 

Speaking of new.  The area we live in is a very newly developed area.  I guess not that long ago, it was all farm land and nothing out here.  Every building around here looks like it's been built in the last 5 years, or else it's completely decrepit. You'll drive through this brand new neighborhood, then pass a house that looks 75 years old with horses in their backyard.  Across the street from the hospital, on a busy street is a house with chickens roaming the front yard.


Because Mormons have such large families, when we were looking for a place to rent we were trying to figure out why everywhere had 5-6 bedrooms.  Haha!  Also on the subject of big families, so many items are sold in bulk here.  In Kentucky you kind of have to go down the bulk aisle or go to Costco.  I'm in Walmart here, like "all I want is a normal size jug of grape juice!"

Like I said, Mormons have large families and a lot of them have the mom at home.  I went to Target in the middle of the day and it was crazy how crowded it was.  All of these moms with their 3-5 kids, roaming around.  Seriously, the day I was there I counted 2 moms who had less than 3 kids.  Everyone had a whole brood with them.  And they all seem very well behaved.  Unlike my two, who force me to make lists in order of importance!!

Sadly, I just haven't found that Southern, accomodating vibe.  I feel like, one on one, people are very friendly.  But in general, like walking around Target the other day, no one is just like, "hi, how are you?" or even makes eye contact.  

There are so many fun, kid friendly things to do here!  So many parks and places to go.  There are also countless opportunities to see trains.  Shep is in heaven!

Neighbors all keep their blinds closed.  It is really odd and I don't understand.

No grocery store comes close to Kroger.  I miss you, Kroger!! Don't even get me started on Walmart, the devil.  I go to about 3 different grocery stores every week trying to piece together everything I want.

It never rains here. Everyone has a sprinkler system and waters their lawn every single day. 

I have never been more aware of my accent. Almost everyone comments on it, but not one person has said anything about Joey having one.

Parents are very lax with their kids. Joey took the boys to the neighborhood park one day and sent me a picture of what looked like a two year old crossing the street on her own, with no adults in sight. We went to Target one day and parked next to a van with kids in it, in their car seats, watching movies, with the car running. No adults. I've been to Chic fil A twice and I'm the only parent who goes and sits in the play area. Kids just come and go and there are no adults!

Just a few things off the top of my head that I've noticed!
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment