Some things I've learned in 30 years

Today was my 30th birthday. I also realized I am exactly 30 weeks pregnant today. We got a babysitter for the boys and Joey went out to a nice dinner alone. 

I thought I'd take a page out of Oprah's book and list some things I know for sure in honor of my 30th birthday.  So let me start out by saying that one thing I know is true is that something that might be an absolute truth for me might be the total opposite for someone else.  I also know it's ok to have opinions and change your mind! 

1. I think the best thing you can do is always be learning, listening, evolving. My life goal summed up is "I never consider myself a finished product."

2. Everything changes. My dad has said this to me and I just find it kind of reassuring. He said that to me when Joey and I got married and we were trying to figure out how to spend the holidays and it was making me sad to change what I was used to. I guess that's kind of an obvious statement, but when I'm stressed about changing something or sad about something, I just think well everything changes so this was inevitable, or it won't be like this forever. 

3. Be the hero of your own story and make sure your children are the hero of theirs. 

4. No one is looking at you. I can not tell you the last time I was embarrassed by anything because I don't think anyone cares. People are more concerned about themselves than to worry about you, so just do your thing and don't worry about it. 

5. Choose to live by choice, not by chance.  I don't want to let life happen to me. Which leads me to...

6. I know in life all I can do is pray, educate myself, then make decisions based on what's in front of me. If I've done that, I can at least feel good about myself. 

7. Doubt means don't. If you have doubts, just don't do it. You might have a clearer answer in the future and you can do it then, but you don't have to be in a hurry. But don't confuse doubt with fear!

8. I'm perfectly fine letting someone give me advice I completely disagree with or go on about something, because I know I'm going to do whatever I want anyway. Doesn't mean I'm not silently thinking they're super annoying.

9. I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing, but other people's opinions mean very little to me. In the words of Kanye, "I don't care what people think, because people don't think."

10. You can say no without giving an explanation. 

11.  Good for you, not for me. I think that was from Amy Poehler's book, that I still need to read, but I did hear that quote. Especially in motherhood, and in the age of social media when everyone has an opinion and everyone wants to prove their point, it's ok to be different. Different from you doesn't mean bad, it doesn't mean you're judging or being judged. It just means, good for you, but that's not for me. 

12. You become like the 5 people you surround yourself with the most. And in the words of Caroline Manzo, "When you hang out with trash, you start to stink."
I don't have time to hang out with people  who are draining or bring me down, or honestly even people I just don't like. 

13. I want to be a Yes Mom. I have to say "No" a million times a day, for real reasons, like, to save my children from impending death. If I can say yes to letting them take out every pot and pan, it's not a big deal for me to put them back up. 

14.  My aunt shared this Billy Graham quote on Facebook one day and I absolutely loved it. 
"It is the Holy Spirit's job to convict, God's job to judge, and my job to love."
There are so many hot button issues and debates going on in the world today. I don't have any clue the right answers to a lot of the big questions and topics, and thanks to the good Lord I don't have to. 

15.  I hope the main thing my children learn from me, if they don't learn anything else, is that prayer changes things.
If you are praying, SOMETHING is happening whether you can see it or not. Pray without ceasing. So many thing in my life I know are the direct answers of specific prayers I've prayed. Answers that may look different than what I prayed for, but answered prayers nonetheless.  
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment