Our vacation got off to a crazy start


Our flight was scheduled for 5:30am on Friday morning. We had just about everything packed except for a few last minute items. Thursday night we were going to attempt to go to bed early, since we were planning to get up at 3am in order to get to the airport early and not be rushed. 

Right when we were about to get in bed, Joey gets a text message saying our flight was canceled. It was around 9:30pm and he immediately called the airline and was placed on hold. He was on hold for over an hour and I didn't know what to do so I was just going to go to bed. I'm in the bathroom when Joey walks in, still on the phone and mouths "We have to leave, RIGHT NOW!" The airline had a flight that was leaving at 1am, and if we could make it we would still be on schedule. If not, we wouldn't have a flight until at least the next day. It was about 11pm at this point and we have never moved so fast in our lives. We both showered, finished packing and got all of the kids in the car and were on our way. The airport is only 30 minutes away but we hit every single red light. Every single one. Joey says he was not his best self on that drive ;) #cusswords

When we pulled up to the airport, there was a huge line. We finally made it up to the front and Joey dropped me, Shep and Breaker off, along with 3 car seats and all of our luggage. Joey still had to park the car in the long term parking lot and get a shuttle back to us. I said there was no way I could handle Major so Joey had to take him with him. (Without a car seat...not our best decision but we weren't thinking straight and didn't think the lot was too far away!)

So I managed to get all of our stuff and two kids to the counter so I could check our bags. I had to move things a few feet, then go back and get the rest of it and repeat since there was so much and I couldn't let anything out of my sight, lest someone think it was a bomb threat! Talk about an ordeal. 

We were literally the crazy people RUNNING through the airport. Joey was carrying Major and running with me trailing not far behind, carrying Breaker and trying not to jostle the poor baby too much, and dragging Shepherd. We were all sweating and out of breath when we finally got to our gate. We had 7 minutes to spare. 

The boys were surprisingly great on the plane. They all 3 slept pretty much the entire time. I think it actually worked out better to travel through the night. 

We flew from Utah, into Miami where we had a short layover, then ended in Nashville. Side note, during our layover in Miami, we were waiting in the most crowded area you can imagine. It was like something out of a movie. Standing room only and about 16 exits to outside. Of course Major found this the perfect time to take off running and have me chase him through the terminal. Like, can not catch him, worst case scenario, I can feel the judging eyes all around me. Kids have a way of making sure you keep your humility. Is that the right word?  By the time we got to Nashville , everyone was D-O-N-E. Joey had to wait in the longest line ever to get our rental car and I had all 3 of our exhausted, hungry, grumpy kids trying to keep them from running off. I kind of want to cry remembering it. My mom and grandma were meeting us at the airport and I called them and told them to please come in the airport and get Major (who was legit losing his mind) and I didn't care what they did with him. Seriously, the entire airport was staring at us while Major just RAGED. 

I don't know how it happened but somehow my mom and grandma ended up finding us and I swear it was like a choir of angels started singing when I saw them walk in that door. At this point I think Joey and I had been awake for nearly 36 hours straight. 

We got our rental car and said goodbye to Major who was going to spend a week with my parents. (More about that later.) I had been so worried about saying goodbye to him, but he was so exhausted he could barely keep his eyes open. 


Joey, Shep, me and Breaker then got in our rental and drove straight to Hilton Head. By the time we got there Joey and I had been awake for 48 hours straight. It was crazy. I don't know how Joey did it, because he drove the entire time. 

I plan on posting all about our 2 week vacation to Hilton Head and KY this week. Crazy that we now vacation in KY. 


Share

No comments:

Post a Comment