Soundtrack of Our Lives :: What songs do you sing to your kids?

I have distinct memories of my mom singing my sister and I to sleep.  I'm sure she sang lots of songs, but the one I remember is the hymn Holy Ground.  Now I sing it to my boys as they fall asleep.

We are standing on Holy Ground
And I know that there are angels all around
Let us praise Jesus now
For we are standing in His presence 
On Holy Ground

Each of our kids have a song that is "their song." With each of my pregnancies we've had a song that we picked for them, and these songs always take me back to being pregnant and their newborn days.

Major always wants me to rock him and always asks, "What's Breaker's song? What's Shepherd's song called? What's my song?"

Shepherd: Danny's Song (Kenny Loggins)
Major: My My Love (Joshua Radin)
Breaker: Daughter (Sleeping at Last)


Danny's Song

People smile and tell me I'm the lucky one
And we've only just begun
Think I'm gonna have a son
He will be like she and me, as free as a dove
Conceived in love
Sun is gonna shine above

And even though we ain't got money
I'm so in love with you, honey
And everything will bring a chain of love
And in the morning, when I rise
You bring a tear of joy to my eyes
And tell me everything is gonna be alright

Seems as though, a month ago, I was Beta-Chi
Never got high
Oh, I was a sorry guy
And now, I smile and face the girl that shares my name
Now I'm through with the game
This boy will never be the same

And even though we ain't got money
I'm so in love with you, honey
And everything will bring a chain of love
And in the morning, when I rise
You bring a tear of joy to my eyes
And tell me everything is gonna be alright

Pisces, Virgo rising is a very good sign
Strong and kind
And the little boy is mine
Now I see a family where there once was none
Now we've just begun
Yeah, we're gonna fly to the sun

And even though we ain't got money
I'm so in love with you, honey
And everything will bring a chain of love
And in the morning, when I rise
You bring a tear of joy to my eyes
And tell me everything is gonna be alright

Love the girl who holds the world in a paper cup
Drink it up
Love her and she'll bring you luck
And if you find she helps your mind, better take her home
Don't you live alone
Try to earn what lovers own

And even though we ain't got money
I'm so in love with you, honey
And everything will bring a chain of love
And in the morning, when I rise
You bring a tear of joy to my eyes
And tell me everything is gonna be alright


My My Love


So many moons have come and gone all alone
I heard this song inside me to wait
I was told but now I found a different sound
I hear when you're around me
It's something new because of you
I hope I hear it forever

[Chorus:]
My, my love
I've been without you too long
My, my love
I've been running too fast to belong to anyone
But then you came along

When first I laid eyes upon your face
This song replaced all the others I have written
It's all brand new because of you
Feels like I've known you forever

[Chorus:]
My, my love
I've been without you too long
My, my love
I've been running too fast to belong to anyone
But then you came along

You warm me like sunshine
You cool me like summer rain
Just let me sit down beside you
Over and over again

[Chorus:]
My, my love
I've been without you too long
My, my love
I've been running too fast to belong to anyone
But then you came along



Daughter



If only you knew
The sunlight shines a little brighter,
The weight of the world’s a little lighter,
The stars lean in a little closer
All because of you.

I want to see
You lift your chin a little higher,
Open your eyes a little wider,
Speak your mind a little louder,
’cause you are royalty.

This is your kingdom,
This is your crown,
This is your story.
This is your moment,
Don’t look down..

You’re ready, born ready.
And all you gotta do
Is put one foot in front of you.
Our ceiling is your floor,
And all you gotta do
Is put one foot in front of you,
If only you knew.

If only you knew
The forests grew a little greener,
The roots reach in little deeper,
The birds all sing a little sweeter,
All to welcome you.

I want to see
Your happily ever after,
That you know in your heart that you matter,
That you are royalty.

This is your kingdom,
This is your crown,
This is your story.
This is your moment,
Don’t look down.

You’re ready. born ready,
And all you gotta do
Is put one foot in front of you.
Our ceiling is your floor,
And all you gotta do
Is put one foot in front of you.

You’re ready. born ready,
And all you gotta do
Is put one foot in front of you.
Our ceiling is your floor,
And all you gotta do
Is put one foot in front of you.
If only you knew

This is your kingdom,
This is your crown,
This is your story.
This is your moment,
Don’t look down.

------------------------


I love these songs! We have other songs that are kind of collectively for all of them, but these are their main ones I think of for each of them.
I imagine dancing with them at their weddings some day to these, and I'll just embarrass all of them with my weeping.
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment