May Resolutions Review

So as a reminder, my May goal was to read three books, and I am happy to report that I did it!

I finished my three books! I'm so proud of myself for accomplishing my little resolution. A month is much better gratification than setting a New Years resolution and having a whole year to see if you actually do it. And the thing about New Years resolutions is you have a whole year so you have to go big. I just read this article about how if you want to accomplish a goal, you have to say no to all the alternatives. You need to pick one thing you want to do, and just do IT. When I told Joey my goal for June, he said why didn't I just do more than one a month, since they are small and not really that hard. But I am not going to over-do it. One little goal a month is plenty.

Some things I've noticed over this month of reading:

I look at my phone less.

I would still rather be able to sit down and have time to read, but thats not going to happen. So my options are either not read, or read in small time increments.

Because I'm never sitting down and reading for big chunks of time, its easier for me to read light and breezy books, or my self help book thats broken down into shorter sections. I had a hard time starting the novel, and once I did I read it mostly after the boys were in bed so I could concentrate. I did a lot of reading while I was sitting outside watching the boys play.

I refuse to waste my time reading something I don't like, so I quit my first novel choice after a few chapters. The book was "The Paris Wife" and it was a fiction book about real people. No thanks, I'd rather just look them up on the internet and find out about them that way.
I was determined to still read three books, so when I quit that book I went to the library and got Big Little Lies.

So a little review of the three books I read:
(Again, I chose books from different genres on purpose, so I would always have something I was in the mood for.)

Novel:
Big Little Lies

I loved it! I read it in 2 days and Joey and I started watching the show last night. I liked knowing who played the characters on the HBO show, so I could picture them in the book. We're only two episodes in, but as of now I'd say I like the book more than the show.

Autobiography:
Always and forever my favorite type of book. I love autobiographies.
Turning the Tables, Teresa Guidice


Don't judge ;)
It was a quick and easy read. If you watch Orange is the New Black I thought it was most interesting how what she described in prison was just like how that show is portrayed. If you do watch OITNB, the real life Piper also went to the same prison where Teresa served her sentence.

Self-Help:
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families


I love this book and I may do a separate post on it. I definitely recommend this, although I think it gets a little repetitive. It does share a lot of good practices to use in your family, a lot are things we were already doing. Reading this a little at a time helps me be a nicer person ;)


So, my June resolution is...
Drink 4 bottles of water a day. 
Thats about 8 glasses of water, and this is so much harder than it sounds. I think my skin will benefit, so I'm determined to stick to it. I'll check back in at the end of the month and report how I did and share my July resolution!
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment